Bird Mite Control
For effective, lasting results in bird mite control, call SWAT Pest Control.
We have the local expertise and knowledge to achieve the results you expect, and we are right on your doorstep!
What is a Bird Mite?
Bird mites are minute, oval shaped arachnids with eight legs that feed on the blood of birds. Therefore, they are naturally found where birds, such as poultry, sparrows, starlings, or pigeons, and their nests are located.
Their life cycle has four basic stages: egg, larva, nymph and adult. Bird mites prefer warm and humid living conditions and are most active during the spring and early summer.
Why am I being bitten?
Bird mites usually feed on the blood of birds, however, after young birds leave their nest, the mites may encounter humans while searching for a new bird host. Bird mites can bite anywhere on the human body but are more often experienced on exposed skin.
Their biting sucking behaviour can cause considerable discomfort for their host. Although they may feed on human blood, bird mites are not able to complete their life cycle on humans and they do not burrow beneath the skin.
Bird Mite Control Tips:
- Find and identify the source/host of the mite.
- Mites often stay close to the source. If you find them in only one room, their source is likely close by.
- Vacuum beds, rugs, furniture, and carpets frequently if mites are present indoors.
- Wash mite-infested fabrics in hot water and dry on high heat.
- Block birds from nesting in the home
- Trim branches and overhanging limbs around the home.